In 1850, this area was known simply as “The Point”. The name was then changed to “Pine Point” because a lantern was hung from a pine tree to warn sailors of the offshore shoal in pre-lighthouse days.
The first settler to arrive in Point Clark was Robert Jardine who settled south of the present day lighthouse in 1850. He was a carpenter by trade and made most of the window sashes for the homes built in the area as well as coffins.
When, during the 1870s, settlers arrived from Clark Township, Durham County, near Oshawa they renamed their new-found home “Point Clark” and settled along the bluff to the present day fourth concession boundary.
Lots 1, 2 and 3 were taken up Hugal Campbell a Scottish immigrant who came to the area in 1852. Daniel Campbell his son helped build most of the harbours in Kincardine and Goderich. His son David Campbell dug a lot of cottage wells and installed cement tiles. The Campbell family has a rich history in Huron Kinloss Township.
Lot 4 was taken up by Peter Shields who immigrated from Scotland and came here to do carpenter work in the building of the lighthouse. He died in 1938. His Grandson Ross Shields was a former owner of the Amberly Store.
Lot 5 was taken up by Robert Jardine in 1850 and was a carpenter.
Lot 6 was owned by James Stockwell a lawyer from England and was leased by the Courtney family. Mr. Stockwell son-in law James Taylor lived on Lot 7.
Lot 8 was taken up by Allan Blair in 1850, when he moved to Western Canada in 1894 with 8 boys. He sold the land to Captain Brown and the bush to John Ray. Major Brown fought in the Boer war later bought lots 8 and 9 and rented the lands to John Mahood until 1900. He later purchased lot 10. His grand-daughter Jan Kelly is a former president of the Point Clark beach Association.
If you have any questions about the PCBA, you can click here to go our convenient “Contact us” page.