(For more information on the history on the Point Clark Lighthouse itself, click here to go to the Point Clark page on the Lighthouse friends website.)
Due to the danger of the shoals offshore on the lake to shipping the pre-dominion government decided that a lighthouse was necessary. John Brown of Thorold was awarded the contract to build the Lighthouse. The lighthouse was built in the years 1857-1858 and with stone brought on scows from north of Inverhuron. With its final completion in 1859 there was much rejoicing, the light was visible for 15 miles. The original lighthouse was built on a foundation of heavy timber buried beneath the sand.
The first lighthouse keeper, John Young, and his wife lived in the small, stone lightkeeper’s cottage until 1878.For an annual salary of $435, Keeper Young was required to keep the tower’s lamp burning brightly during the night and to wind up the weights that powered the clockwork mechanism for turning the lens. The tower’s lamp initially burned spermaceti oil, but colza oil was introduced in 1860 as it was less expensive and remained limpid at lower temperatures.